Tuesday 6 September 2016

NEW YORK DAY 2- 9/11 Memorial, Shopping and Fun Home

Hi Everyone!

Well I am so sorry I didn't stick to my promise of blogging on consecutive days but I have been hella busy and I am gonna try to get the rest of the posts written before Christmas, maybe!

Anyway, lets crack on with day 2 of my trip to New York!


We woke up kind of early, due to the jet lag meaning my sleep pattern was all over the shop but this meant that I was wide awake and not yawning throughout the day! We started the day with a cheeky breakfast and then got ready for our first jam packed day in NYC. 
The first part of today was going to be a very tough morning and that was because we were going to memorial area where the twin towers used to be. Now for anyone who doesn't know what I am on about, in 2001 there weas a terrorist attack and two planes hit the twin towers, resulting is the loss of so many lives. Now on the site, there are two fountain memorials and a memorial museum. So we got in a taxi and headed down to the 'financial district' of Manhattan and as soon as we got nearer there was a really bizaare feeling in the air and once we got out of the taxi and looked towards the fountains, it was so hard to imagine and picture the two towers actually being there.



 The actual fountains go into the ground and its such a respectful way to tribute all the people who died on that day. If anyone hasn't ever seen any pictures of the fountains then all around the edge of the fountains are all the names and its kind of hard to see because there are so many names. The memorial who are in charge of the fountains place a white rose on the name of whoever birthday's it is that day. After walking around the fountains we went into the actual museum where there are remains of the twin towers, memorial pieces and other things related to the terror attack. I can't actually describe the mood and setting of the whole museum. Its very dark and cool and quietly playing in the background is the sound of people talking and saying who they lost in the terror attacks. Its such a moving place and some of the pieces in the museum really moved me. There were a lot of belongings of people from the towers, pieces of structure from the tower, firetrucks, dedications to the victims and commissioned art and photography. It was a lot to take in and I was overwhelmed by all of it. I didn't take any photos while inside the museum because it was very inappropriate and disrespectful to all the people who died. Unfortunately a lot of people didn't share my feelings and were so rude, rude enough to take selfies with the exhibits. I'm not going to list everything in the museum but I there were a few things that stuck out for me and hit me right n the feels. There was a room and on al the walls were photos of all the people who had died in the twin towers, pentagon, planes and the 1993 bombings. It was so emotional to see all the firefighters and police that died because of their bravery.  Another bit was a motorbike that a fireman had bought, it was an old harley and he was slowly fixing it but he went into one of the towers and never came back. So the fire house he was at fixed it up and gave it to the memorial but it was designed as a FDNY motorbike. There one but which nearly finished me off was a wall which had a Virgil quote and different shades of blue plaques. It was to represent that we are all blue but all different shades. Also behind that wall is a lot of remains which they couldn't retrieve so it is basically a grave.
We also watched a commissioned video from the official government about 9/11 and it was both fascinating and emotional.

After the whole 9/11 memorial we headed back up towards Times Square to get lunch and to process what we had just seen. So we had lunch and started the first part of our shopping. It is New York and basically the best place for shopping! However, we decided to go pick up the tickets for the show we were seeing that evening which was.... FUN HOME! I have literally waited forever to see this amazing show and I haven't been so excited in a long long time! It was at the Circle in the Square theatre and to finally be there was a dream come true! Kathy suggested that we should see another show while in New York and came up with a few possibilities: School of Rock, Something Rotten and The Phantom of the Opera. On our trek to get tickets we stumbled upon this magical store. A BROADWAY STORE! I literally had died and gone to heaven! I may have also had a lengthy discussion about the goddess that is Cynthia Erivo! Afterwards we decided to get tickets for my all time fave, Phantom! It was a dream to see Phantom on Broadway after seeing it in the West End twice! We got really good tickets and that literally was me practically cartwheeling around Times Square. Two perfect shows, in one trip!



Our shopping adventure was pretty amazing we went to literally every shop on our list and ones that we hadn't planned! I mean my purse was crying after that Friday! But I was in New York and didn't give a wet monkey's ass! 

Before we knew it, it was about 7.20pm and we were heading to the theatre to see Fun Home. I was  hyperventilating at this point because I had so badly wanted to see this show and to finally see it was literally the most perfect thing ever! As we entered and gave our tickets, it was becoming more real and an actual thing! 

IMG_20160827_155406
20160826_193321

We went to our seats which were in the second row, but the theatre was 'in the round' which means the stage is in the middle and the audience sit around the stage. I couldn't believe where we were sat. The whole theatre makes the show so personal and intimate! The overture started and I literally looked like the cheshire cat (with glasses on because I am blind in the theatre lol). It still hadn't kicked it. 
The show ended and I practically leapt out of my seat. The musical I just saw was so so so amazing! The cast were the most talented cast I had ever seen and I had no words!
We went to grab a bite to eat for dinner and for the entire meal I was still processing what I had just experienced, and how it had been the best musical I had ever seen which is high praise indeed to be better than Phantom!

This was a day of extremes and I had FINALLY seen Fun Home after so long! What a truly fab day and after Fun Home was when I realised, I needed to be on Broadway one day!


I hope to write my next day tomorrow but I don't want to make any promises! Thanks for reading and stayed tuned!

Charlotte x    

No comments:

Post a Comment