Saturday 26 August 2017

Day Out at Beamish!

Hi Everyone!

Well I have just come back from a lovely day at Beamish and thought that I would write a post asap so I can document this fab day! For any of you who don't know what beamish is, it is an outdoor museum in the North East of England and shows the history of Britain, its called a living museum because visiting it is like visiting an actual place, if that makes sense! I hadn't been to Beamish in about 10 years as the last time I went was in year 2 on a school trip so thought I was due a visit! I love learning about history and going to museums and watching documentaries so I was pretty excited.

As we arrived and paid it turns out that our tickets are valid for a year and we can come as many times as we want which is pretty good as we are already planning to go the Dig For Victory Event next week which is exciting! Entering the museum took me back about 10 years, it was exactly as I remembered. The trams and everything was so fascinating and I couldn't wait to see what was new and what was the same. We headed down to the Pit Village and Colliery as this was the first thing on the map where we wanted to visit. It was so fascinating and interesting to learn about how the pit village ran and what all the different roles were. It was literally like walking into a proper village with animals and veg and all the different buildings. The mine/colliery section was massive and like borderline breath taking.

After visiting the pit village we headed to the 1940's farm which was so adorable and picturesque. There were so many animals and vegetable patches. Also going into the farm houses it showed us how small and basic they were back in World War 2. 

 Next stop on the visit was the Railway and Town. I was like a kid in a sweet shop going to the railway section. I am a bit of a secret train nerd and I find it all so interesting. Especially learning about trains in the past. As we headed towards the train platform the queue was massive to get on the train so we decided to go on the train another time. It was a proper old fashioned steam train. We stood on the bridge and watched it go by and it had a Railway Children vibe about it all. 

 After the train passed by we headed on over to the town and it was exactly how I remembered. The dentist and the sweet shop and the bank, it was kind of spooky how much I remembered of it. We visited the dentist and the singing teachers house which was really cool but also a tad busy then we hopped on over to look at the stables and the carriages used for transport. Afterwards we joined the queue for the sweet shop and as we were just chatting I spotted Becca from college coming out and it was so lovely to have a quick catch up and see each other again! Going into the shop caused me to hyperventilate as they do these sweets called blacks and rasps which are chewy sweet versions of blackberries and raspberries, I had waited 10 years to get them again and was overjoyed to see they still did them! We also got a bag of cinder toffee which is a staple from Beamish. Its basically a honeycomb slab of goodness. We then visited all the different shops and then hopped on a tram to the manor style house.


The tram ride was rather not relaxing as it was so busy but we got off at the entrance stop then walked to the Pockerley Old Hall which was so beautiful and looked like it could be a house someone would be living in today! The garden and Vegetable patch was just so beautiful and the whole setting was very picturesque. 


Overall the day was so lovely and we had beautiful weather! Maybe it wasn't the best weather to wear a thick knit jumper but I ploughed through and I can't wait to go back to the Dig for Victory section next week! Would recommend to anyone no matter your age to take a visit to Beamish!

Charlotte x

No comments:

Post a Comment